Friday, March 13, 2009

Excited to be Back

I was so excited today as I rang the buzzer to Keiko's place. It's been a while since I stopped in to work, and I'm glad that Keiko is feeling much better. Right away, she showed me a few basic things on Photoshop, so I hope to expand my skills in that area. I don't have Photoshop on my computer, so I have to play around on the school computers during the week.

Cardigan: Madewell
Black Shirt: Target
Scarf: H&M
jeans: Delia's
Boots: Aerosoles
Bag: Nine West

I also found a shirt to reconstruct for practice! I am making it for my friend Lindsay. Here is the before reconstruction picture, and here is my friend Lindsay! It's an XL shirt on an XS girl.
I was so surprised at how simple the process was, though the skill involved still needs some developing. I had trouble with those darn sleeves again, but they were more challenging this time because I was working with wovens instead of knits. For this XL men's button-down, we took up the sleeves and made them 3/4s and took in the sides, so that Lindsay can add her own belt.

Making things for other people makes me feel so happy for some reason. It's just that there is so much care, thought, and time put into creating something that makes it so meaningful. That is why Keiko makes one-of-a-kind pieces at her sewing machine. It is an extension of the hands that say, "I made this for you because you are special to me."

Here is what I made of the big baggy shirt. Keiko helped me A LOT along the way, and Lindsay did an awesome job with accessories.








Headband: Urban Outfitters
Belt: Brooklyn's Artists and Fleas
Boots: Hell's Kitchen Flea Market
Shrit: Thrifted and Reconstructed







We headed out to Beacon's Closet today, and Lindsay and I were so excited that she picked up two more shirts for me to work on! Can't wait!





Here is a bow that I made for my roommate, Elizabeth.

No comments: