Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Sew Storm

The Ringling Bros. Barnum and Bailey Circus came to the city last night. My two friends and I went to see the elephants and ponies walk down 34th after emerging from the Queens Midtown Tunnel. The experience sent chills to our toes and fingers (32 degrees!) and a fun memory with friends.
One of my friends insisted on dressing like a clown. Here we are: The clowns, wearing the bow headbands that I made.

My mom just shipped up my spring dresses, and I had just packed away my winter wears. This weather is not nice. Being from Florida, I love the sun, and it just depresses me to see beautiful daylight sticking its tongue out at me with a surrounding temperature of 40 degrees. What am I supposed to wear?! I dig through the remainder of my winter stash and find this. Unfortunately, I have to burden it with a puffy coat.
I took a short walk to the fabric store and picked up some lovely lining for my tote bag sewing project. I went straight to work from there. What took up the most time was ironing. I can't remember if I mentioned this in a previous post, but I hate ironing.

I'm always afraid to make the first cut. Don't I look scared? Keiko hasn't been here to help me, but fortunately, my roommate, Elizabeth, knows how to sew and helped greatly helped me out.

Five o'clock came out of nowhere, but I was determined to get to the sewing machine today. If I didn't get around to sewing my bag, I certainly was going to play around and learn the settings on some scratch fabric.

Screws. I don't have screws, or the right needle. I bought the presser foot, but no screw to hold it in place, and the sharp needle that used to be there was missing (I only had ballpoints). Why? Just Why? Will I ever get it right? I thought "third time's a charm", but I guess it's really "third time is another trip to the notions store..."
Though at that moment in time I felt disappointment, at the end of the day I was satisfied. I did accomplish a sufficient amount today. I ironed, cut my first pattern by myself, and worked with fusible interfacing.
black headband: Claire's Accessories (2 years ago)
tiger stripe shirt: Forever 21
Black long sleeve shirt: H&M
jeans: Delia's
Boots: Famous Footwear

3 comments:

Mo said...

Your curly hair is perfect! How do you do it?

I love reading about how you're learning to sew - I don't know how, so it's much like living vicariously!

Catherine G said...

Thanks! I go to Devachan in Soho and use their products. They specialize in curly hair. It is definately worth trying out. I've been going there for a year now, and I won't go anywhere else!

laura said...

aww, your blog is so nice - i really like it. (: it's interesting to here about your experiences. are you interested in exchanging links with me? that would be great! if so, please let me know by leaving a comment on my blog. just the best for your internship!