Friday, February 6, 2009

Tying the World with Bows and Bands

4 is the magic number today because today I completed 4 bow headbands for Keiko at my internship with Postlapsaria. That was at the end of the day. Before the fun sewing began, we packaged orders for customers. I still find it amazing that businesses can complete transactions with customers over the internet in other parts of the world. We were filling out orders for places like Germany, Canada, and the United Kingdom. Suddenly, the world doesn't seem so big.

I was able to learn about how Keiko ran her website, and I am always get nervous when it comes to seemingly complex computer stuff. I don't know the first thing about creating or running a website, though I would like to learn someday. There is so much to learn and explore these days that I don't know where would like to place my focus. I guess that is why we have career goals...

...and friends. In this world, it's all about the people you know. If the people you know all do different things, then you will never need to know everything. When I hear Keiko telling me stories about fashion shows and photo shoots and how she has a friend to do makeup, a friend to do photography, or a friend to do modeling, I think that she is so lucky to have such caring and talented people who support her and want her to succeed. I'm sure that she hopes the same for them. Contacts are extremely important in the business world, and the relationship that you have with them is even more important. It is merely an "I'll help you if you help me" exchange, or is it an "I'd love to help you to reach your fullest potential" outlook? What makes the venture worthwhile is being able to accomplish it with "friends" rather than just "people you know".

Later in the day, Keiko had me constructing these adorable headbads with bows attached to them. I thoroughly enjoyed the project because it allowed me to work on serging as well as hand stitching. I like sewing projects because if you mess up, you can always take everything apart and start over. Needless to say, I did have a few mess ups (I sewed the bow on backwards!), but I didn't get frustrated. Realization hits me, and I think "Ugh. I can't believe I just did that, but no matter, I can fix it. It will just take me a little extra time and soon it will be right and done".

No comments: